20 mai 2009

Ninas Guide to Indoor Gardening Part 1

I am sooo not Mrs. Green Thumbs when it comes to indoor gardening. There is probably nothing that satisfies and brings me more pleasure than being outside digging dirt and pulling weeds. I ♥ gardening! I am sad and embarrased though to admit that every single plant I drag inside wither and die in record time. When we moved into our new home I had big plans of filling our window frames with tons of vibrant green indoor plants. Oh yeah, market garden, here I come! And I guess I have to come back several times too. Because those darned plants didn't even make it through one week. I cried my heart out to one of my friends in despair. I know plants need light and water. How hard can it be? She brought me the most hardcore plant available - The Crown of Thorns. Because it doesn’t mind drying out, it makes a good flowering container plant in situations that would kill most. Sounds like my kind of deal. And I am happy to report that after two weeks, my plant is now actually flowering! Yeah, me!

Some facts about this wonder of all wonders: Common names are Crown of Thorns, Christ Plant, Christ Thorn and allude to the legend that the crown of thorns worn by Christ at the time of his crucifixion was made from stems of this plant.  Interestingly, the stems of this plant are pliable and can be intertwined into a circle.  There exists substantial evidence that the species, native to Madagascar, had been brought to the Middle East before the time of Christ.

Its Scientific name is Euphorbia Milii.
Euphorbia  - Euphorbus was the Greek physician of King Juba II of Algerie. King Juba II was the first person to find a succulent-type Euphorbia, and he named it after his physician. Milii - named for Baron Milius, once governor of the island of Bourbon, who introduced the species into cultivation in France in 1821.

The poinsettia is also in the same family as the Crown of Thorns.

And now that my self esteem got a big boost, I might step it up a notch and see if we can get this indoor gardening up and running. :)

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar

Feel free to leave a comment!