20 januar 2009

The Spirit of America

It has been an exciting day, following the Presidential Inauguration on the news and I have to admit I feel a little bit of the spirit of America myself. My favorite news story however was from a Norwegian celebration where an American had invited friends and family to an outdoor BBQ. He served hot dogs and had built a huge snow wall for a wide screen so they could watch the ceremony. It brought me dear memories of potluck lunches on July 4th! I wish I could find the clip online, but no such luck yet.


I love my mom and think it sucks that we live so far apart, but I have to admit we just love it when she sends us little care packages from the US. With a brand new baby in the family, several packages have arrived and I am so grateful for mom helping us out and sending her love. Growing up I was also lucky to receive packages from my grandmother. My father used the opportunity to share his recollection of receiving Marshall help after the second world war and he told me about Marshall who gave an address where he offered American aid to promote European recovery and reconstruction. "It is logical," said Marshall, "that the United States should do whatever it is able to do to assist in the return of normal economic health to the world, without which there can be no political stability and no assured peace.


My mother is talented in so many ways. She is very crafty and I just have to share with you these two adorable oufits she has crocheted.




It is a little ironic how our little family receive packages in a time where the American economy is unstable and weak. I am going to quote Obama to sum up some of the thoughts I have in this time of change.

A new foundation for growth.

The success of our economy has always depended not just on the size of our Gross Domestic Product, but on the reach of our prosperity; on our ability to extend opportunity to every willing heart - not out of charity, but because it is the surest route to our common good. To the people of poor nations, we pledge to work alongside you to make your farms flourish and let clean waters flow; to nourish starved bodies and feed hungry minds. And to those nations like ours that enjoy relative plenty, we say we can no longer afford indifference to suffering outside our borders; nor can we consume the world's resources without regard to effect. For the world has changed, and we must change with it.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar

Feel free to leave a comment!